Thursday 16 October 2008

Interviewing Skills

This lesson we learnt how to set up, and interview other people.
things we need to keep in mind whilst interviewing people:
1. Keep eye contact with the other person.
2. Talk to the interviewee before hand to put them at ease.
3. Being friendly and encouraging.
4. Prepare your questions beforehand.
5. Keep it conversational.
6. Use open ended questions.
7. Be confident and project.
8. Give the interviewee a copy of the questions to give them a brief idea of what your going to ask.
9. Respond to the answers you get, seem interested.

Once we practiced how to do all this and we all had a go at doing it with our partners, we set up and were planning to film an interview.
As it was my role as a director, I had to organize the set and tell people where to sit and go.
I quite liked the job because I usually have an opinion I need to share with everyone, and I probably wouldn't have managed not being able to take part.
It took us quite long to set up the angle because some of the shots were quite boring, but with the help of the class we got started in the end.
When everything was set up we all came up with a question to ask simon and added it all on to one sheet. Once everything was set up we started the interview, I had to get the audience to be quiet or the microphone would pick it all up.
The interview went quite well while I was watching it. But when we saw it back on camera we could see all the things we done wrong and what we needed to improve.
It was useful because for future reference it allows us to assure that we improve on our skills.
The thing I found challenging was the fact that only I was incharge so if I got stuck noone could help me, however it has improved my skills on control and has prepared me incase I have to do something similar in the future.