Tuesday 4 November 2008

Disappearing Numbers performance

On Thursday before half term we went to go and watch a performance at the barbican theatre called disappearing numbers. Before we went to watch it, I knew it had something to do with maths but I had no idea how it was possible to create a performance out of it.
When the performance started, I was really confused because I didn't see how anything was fitting together. At first it was quite enjoyable to watch because there were quite a few funny moments, but as the performance went on I just got more and more confused. By the end of the performance I was just lost.
Even though I didn’t get much of what the performance was about, I still gained a lot of knowledge. I loved the multi media that was used and that gave me new ideas on how I would set out a performance. The board that some of the pictures were projected on on were so realistic, I thought it looked really good. And all the sound effects that were used made everything seem real. I also loved the fact that it was very non naturalistic. Although that’s what made it quite confusing, the way the scenes switched was really good.
For £10 I think it was something worth going to see. I didn’t get much of the performance but I liked the techniques that were used and it was a very enjoyable night. I would recommend it for older people because it’s quite hard to understand what’s going on and I don’t think many students will be interested in maths.