Thursday 5 March 2009

Work Experience

For work experience I worked in mahogany's costume design shop, which is located in Harlesden NW10. Basically the make most of the costumes that appear in carnivals (Notting hill) etc. when I first got there they explained the reason they make all the costumes out of foam and why they use certain glues, paints and so on... it was quite a lot to take in but I found all the practical work easy. On our second week, we were asked to design our own headpiece and make it. I loved designing it but didn't enjoy making it as much. I thought cutting the foam was quite hard because it was quite thick and it was hard to cut circles out without making any jagged edges. The painting was probably the best part of it because there was so much to do with it, you could barely go wrong. Overall I thought it was a really good experience but not quite to my taste. I would recommend it to someone who is quite practical. The only down side to it all was the travel, as it was too far.